One of my favorite things about cold weather running is seeing all of the neighborhood roses that bloom over winter. Our weather is sometimes just warm enough for the hardiest roses to push out a few extra blossoms; seeing them always cheers me up (even when I’m on the last leg of an uphill jog and I can’t feel my toes).
The smell of roses is said to have a calming effect, and act as an antidepressant. They’re good for the skin, and remind us of love…it’s said that Cleopatra wore rose oil when she first met Mark Anthony.
I’ve loved roses since I was little, and especially winter roses. Those little fighters, the rebels! What are they doing trying to bloom through the frost, anyway? They just don’t listen. The stubborn was born right into them.
I keep a vial of rose oil in my medicine cabinet and wear it with essence of jasmine; I also have various rose candles, incense and soaps. I thought I’d share a few rose-related items I’ve found since reaffirming my love for roses in the past week. Maybe they’ll bring you calm, happy feelings…or a rebellious winter love.
Rose Products for Men & Women
- Men’s J.Crew Lac Natural-Dye Organic Pocket Tee in Rose: made using organic cotton and “lac” dye; $62.50
- Women’s Gypsy 05 Organic Long Maxi Dress in Rose Pink: made of 100% organic cotton and natural dyes; $110
- Women’s A Question Of Skull & Roses T-Shirt: made in Africa from fair trade, organic bamboo; on sale for $31.66
Rose Products for Home
- West Elm Organic Seersucker Duvet Cover in Coral Rose: 100% organic cotton; king size on sale for $99
- DayNa Decker Bardou Chandel Candle (with essence of rose): made with ecologically-friendly materials; from $24
- Murchison-Hume Cleaning Kit with Bamboo Caddy: 99% natural and cruelty-free; includes glass polish, counter-safe surface spray, “spit & polish” cleaner, furniture spritzer, bathroom cleaner and floor cleaner; $69.95
Rose Products for Beauty
- Eminence Rose Collection Tube: organically-based; contains Rosehip and Maize Exfoliating Masque, Couperose-C Serum, Rosehip Whip Moisturizer, Sweet Red Rose Whip Moisturizer and Sweet Red Rose Treatment; $69
- RMS BEAUTY Lip Shine in Bloom: mineral color; organic ingredients; $25
- Alteya Organics Bulgarian Rose Hair Butter Treatment: made with organic butters and oils; $24
- Brown Rice Family Rose Soap: handmade; available on Etsy; $7
If you’re looking for hardy winter roses, check out Heirloom Roses in Oregon. I found them while researching this post and they (a) seem to know their stuff, and (b) are local to the Pacific Northwest, a great area for rose cultivation. They can ship directly to you.
Do you love all flowers, and want to wear them like talismans? Me too. Check out this post about Katee Marie, who presses dried flowers in resin to make beautiful jewelry.